Friday, December 11, 2009

Not for Sales...

Warning:

If you feel hungry, please do not proceed with this blog entry before you got yourself something to eat...
If you got hungry after reading this entry... that's your problem... not mine.
If you drooling all over your computer keyboard... please go and clean it yourself :p

Anyway, here you go... i'm going to introduce something that you could not get in the market... it's only can get it from TZ's aunt :p

Okie~ Are you excited to know what am i going to share with you?
Let's review one by one ... Are you ready?

Chilly Sauce

Cooked Bean sprout (we don't eat like Vietnamese)

Fresh Lettuces not cooked

Anyone has any idea so far what kind of food that i wanna to share with you? Let's scroll further...

Fried Onion
Can you smell it?

Fujian Dried Seaweed fried (imported from Xiamen) with Peanuts
Have you tried it? or this is the first time you seen this?

Fried and Smashed Peanuts

the skin...
hey not the SKII facial mask eh~

By now you should be able to guess what i'm going to share with you eh~ Any hokkien here?

What is inside this bowl? hmmm....
Carrot + Jicama + crab meat + shrimps + dried cattlefish + dried tofu + etc ...
How this's made? errrrr... I really have no idea...
have to interview my aunt :p

Okie, I have run through all the ingredients for the food that i wanna to share with all of you... Now let's proceed with the steps to produce the end product ...
1. Place the skin on the plate
2. Get some chilly Sauce and wipe it on the skin
3. Get a leaf of lettuce and swing it to get rid of the water
4. place the lettuce on top of the skin


5. Place the Smashed Peanuts, fried onion on the lettuce.
6. Place the Jicama with crab meat .... on top of the lettuce
7. Place some bean sprouts
8. Finally Get some Fujian dried seaweed on top...

tata... everything is in order

Now... it's time to wrap... Errrr... i forgot to take a picture of the end product (sorry!!! :$) as i was too excited and wallop the end product way before i remember to a picture of the wrapped Popiah...

Yup! It's Popiah the Hokkien's taco :p... It's my grandma recipe and it has inherited by my aunt before my grandmother passed away. Now, my cousin is learning... I gotta say it's so soooo soooo tasty... btw, I gotta taste this once a year only which is during the Chinese Memorial Day (ChingMing Festival).

Are you hungry now?

23 comments:

the viennamese said...

Hokkien's taco! Hahah I love that. Looks good! Now my tummy is rumbling. *kulu kulu*...

smallkucing said...

1st time i see that dried seaweed +peanut as a topping for popiah.Looks delicious. The popiah skin home made or buy? Quite difficult to find nice popiah skin. Sometimes too thick and have funny smell :(

manglish said...

Pengsan!!!! AHAHAHHAHA......btw the seaweed...how does it taste like? i tot it was the olive flesh or something i dont know wat it's called in english.....:)

Jean said...

i love fried onion

A smile from SJ =)

[SK] said...

yeah, i was right, i guess you must be doing popiah!! that seaweed is something new to me, really have not seen that before, taste nice in the popiah meh??

William said...

Looks great!

Twilight Man said...

Ask your aunty cook for me to eat, can or not? This is an order!



I must let you know that your blog page is getting heavier and heavier to log in la. That is why Grandma keep his white, lower res.

uLi.佑莉 said...

Wao...I love popiah!

vincent said...

1st time see this seaweed. luckily i had my breakfast edy

TZ said...

Evann: errrr... so you fit in the "What if " condition #2... kakakaka :p

Smallkucing: My aunt used to make the skin when i was young... i still remember my sis liked to stand there and watch ... cos whenever there's a defect... she got the skin to eat :p But this skin in the pictures was also homemade by my aunt's friends. It's yummy~

manglish: the taste of the seaweed is just like seaweed and it's a signature food for people of Xiamen in Fujian. You could only get it from there... So the traditional Hokkien Taco (Popiah) will have this seaweed in there.

SJ: hehehe... you like the fried onion eh~

[SK]: dude, placing the seaweed in the popiah is very traditional ... that's why maybe you din taste it before ... it's taste nice with this seaweed :p

William: It's not only looks great it taste great too yum! yum! :p

Twilight Zone: Errrrr... really an order ar ... Grandma give order wor ... :p Thanks grandma for pointing out ... I think i need to cut down the pictures placing into my entry ... BTW, we have to complaint to the STREAMYX too. i noticed the speed of their services has degraded so much... I could hardly open one website in China :(

TZ said...

uLi.佑莉 : hehehe... me too.

Vincent: Kiddo, you miss the fun of getting hungry after seeing all my nice nice food piccie :p

said...

gosh~ let's make a makan trip to TZ's aunt place :P

TZ said...

L2: errrrr.... :p

Shingo T said...

Just had my lunch. =(

The ingredients look really fresh, or is it your camera skills are good?

Some of the ingredients are petty unique, like the seaweed.

Gabriel said...

owh, the food is only served during CHingMing? why ler?first time i see though...:D

blue said...

alot of extra fillings compare to the normal ones...must be very fullfilling loh

Anonymous said...

u should learn that, next time can treat us the special popiah kekeee... it looks very delicious to me kekeee

TZ said...

Shingo T: Dude, you just had your lunch ... no more fun on drooling over my piccie :p hahaha,.. maybe it's both my camera and the real freshness of the food :p

Gabriel: This is not the food that served during Ching Ming... my aunt and i not staying in the same city... she stayed in a small town up north ... so only Ching Ming we got the gathering coz I went to visit my grandparents grave... :p

Blue: Yup... but i could eat at least 10 packs :p It's so nice and delicious :p

the happy go lucky one: the raw material is easy to get but how fresh and the quality might be a questions... Anyway, the toughest to learn is the Jicama dish and how to make a nice popiah skin. :p

Bengbeng said...

i miss popiah so much. If I were not so busy I woul fly back just to eat :(

CH Voon said...

hahaha lucky i just finish my dinner else i will feel very very hungry!
yeah! i am the last commentor

Gratitude said...

Good idea....it's on the cards for one of my next home-cooking sprees!
+Ant+

Johnny Ong said...

reading such blogspot when u are in sudan is torturing

TZ said...

Bengbeng: hmmm... you need to fly to West Malaysia for popiah? Sibu don't have Popiah?

CH Voon: Dude, seems like you were not the last commenter... someone not granting you the title of last commenter :p

Gratitude: So when are you going to make Popiah... Don't forget to invite me eh~ I will dedicate a post to your popiah... Only for invited guest. :p

Johnny Ong: Dude, you are in Sudan again :p I'm not going back to Uganda... :(